Pest and Disease Challenges

Now that I've got some plants in the field, I'm having to face one of the most challenging aspects of farming for me -- pest and disease management.  The scientist part of me is intrigued by all the biology out there, but the wannabe farmer/businessperson me can't help but feel upset and discouraged when I see things like this:



I think they're tobacco flea beetles that have been eating away at ALL of the tomato plants in the ground.  Hopefully they'll recover, but those beetles got to even the young leaves.  It's difficult not being near the farm to keep an eye on the plants and it's only going to get worse once session starts, but I guess this is the reality of farming part time in the country while working full time in the city. 

After the big flooding this past Tuesday, I'm also worried about soggy soil, meaning less oxygen to the plants and higher likelihood of diseases.  Some of my zinnias look like they've got flea beetle damage and also some sort of disease, but I haven't been able to identify what's wrong yet:




The battle rages on.  I get so anxious worrying about how much damage the pests are doing while I'm not there.  Hopefully I'll figure out some way to treat this tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts