Worm Mama

Being a childless, pet-less gal can get lonesome, even with an awesome companion at home, and I've been feeling the urge to nurture something.  After toying with the idea of getting a cat from the Humane Society, I decided that restarting my vermicomposting bin was a more reasonable option that would require a lot less commitment.  After a few weeks of searching for worm sellers, I found a woman willing to sell me some worms right in Downtown Honolulu, and I set up my bin in eager anticipation of their arrival.


This time around, as I was reading up on how to create a worm bin, I realized my first worm bin was much too heavy on soil and desperately lacking in bedding material.  I'm not sure if that's what killed off the worms in the end, but I'm certain it contributed.  This time, I made sure to fill my bin with mostly shredded newspaper and only some soil. 


The worms seem content for now.  The woman who sold me the worms warned that one of the first things that can ruin a worm bin is insufficient moisture, so I make sure to thoroughly wet the newspaper every morning.  They don't seem to be eating as much as 1.5 times their body weight, as they reportedly do when happy in their environment, but maybe they're still adjusting. 


I love that I'm simultaneously reducing my waste, raising worms, and creating compost that will be great for my plants.  Seeing those wriggling bodies dance around and try to hide from me may be the closest I will ever get to experiencing motherly joy and playing peek-a-boo with a child of my own.  My worms probably hate it every time I open the lid to light and uncover the bedding just to watch them, much like a kid hates being photographed every second of the day by new parents.  But I don't care.  I'm going to keep doing it anyway because I'm a proud mama :)

Comments

Popular Posts