Gardening (and Wildflowers) Progress

So we're a little over a month out from the wedding, and I still have no idea whether we'll have any potted wildflowers to use.  They seem to be doing well, although I still haven't been able to identify all the various species.  The weather's been so humid that it's hard to tell whether this is how they normally grow or whether they are growing faster or slower because of the heat, humidity, and rain.

I'm pretty sure these fast-growing ones are zinnias.  It'll be interesting to see when they bloom and what colors come out.  So exciting!


This old wine box has come in handy.  If the rest of the wildflowers fill in well, I may just have to take this whole box over to Honolulu Beerworks to show it off at the wedding :P


This is the shade wildflower mix that I keep under my worm bin (in the shade).  I suppose it's doing alright, but I'm not sure if it would grow better in different conditions.  I think those are nasturtiums in the top right corner of the photo and zinnias in the top left corner.  After that, it'll all be a surprise to me.
In the back, my arugula are still doing really well.  I guess they like the cooler conditions of the shade.  They are great supplements to my salad.  In the front, several of the wildflower pots are doing well.


My guess is that these tall, thin leafed plants are cosmos.  I cropped out half my succulents pot from the photo below, but I basically consolidated my succulents into a few pots, and they all seem to be doing well.  We had a heavy downpour last night, though, so I'm not sure if they're getting too much water.


I had planted a bunch of herbs in my long planter boxes to later transplant and give away at the wedding, but they don't seem to like the planter boxes too much.  I think it's too hot in the boxes, and the soil isn't deep enough.  As soon as I moved these guys into one of my self-watering containers, they took off and look soooo good.  We even cut a bunch of leaves off the other night to make a caprese salad, and the plants are still doing really well.  Looks like some wedding guests will be going home with basil!

The okra plant had a couple flowers, and one started to open but then fell off.  It's too bad.  The flowers look like hibiscus and are quite pretty.  I didn't know if the pod would die after the flower fell off, but it has since started growing longer.  Almost ready to eat!!!


This habanero plant is the most recent addition to the family.  Shawn, being the spicy food freak that he is, couldn't resist when we saw it at Koolau Farmers on Beretania.  It looked really healthy and had three peppers on it already.  One fell off, but these two are ready to go.  Time to make some guacamole!!!

Comments

Popular Posts