Fresh Taro Chips


On my first day of AgXposure, the first farmers I got to shadow were dryland taro farmers.  They had us help them harvest a bunch of Bun Long Taro, and in return, on top of valuable information, they let us take home some of the harvest.  I took one taro corm and one cutting to plant.

Originally, I was just going to steam it, but I decided to do as the farmers do -- they use this variety to make taro chips, which happen to be one of my husband's favorite snacks!

First we skinned it with a vegetable peeler:


Next, the hubbie sliced it thinly:

Then I fried them in vegetable oil, although next time I'd like to try avocado or some other oil:

Lastly, I got rid of excess oil with paper towel on a rack, then lightly salted them:

It was such a simple process and so crispy and delicious.  I can't wait to grow my own!  It also made me think about making some of these chips as part of my farming business.  More food for thought :)



Comments

Popular Posts