Compost Tea: Experimenting with the F.B.I.

We visited Mindy Jaffe at Ka'ohao (formerly Lanikai) Elementary School this past weekend and saw what an amazing job they're doing making excellent vermicompost and compost.  She even sang us a song about the F.B.I. -- fungi, bacteria, invertebrates -- the workhorses of compost.


I realized a few things:
  1.  I definitely need to increase my worm population in order to speed up my compost process.
  2.  I definitely need to start learning to brew my own compost tea and using it to inoculate my seedlings and plants with good F.B.I.
  3.  Schools generate a LOT of waste!
  4.  I could probably find ways to turn people's waste into good compost.
  5.  I really like making good compost.
Feeling inspired to finally try this, I finally made my first, less-than-perfect batch of compost tea:
First, I harvested about half an ounce of vermicast and half an ounce of my bokashi
compost, and stuck them in a tea strainer I wasn't using.

I bubbled about 5 gallons of water and let it sit outside for a while to dissipate some chlorine (municipal water), although I should've done this for at least a day.
I strung the tea strainer from fishing line and attached it to a big paint stick.
  
Lastly, I lowered the tea strainer into the water and turned the fish bait aerator on.
This is what it looked like after 24 hours.  Normally, compost tea is pretty colorless.  I suspect my vermicast had lots of coffee grounds in it that escaped from the tea strainer and colored the water more than normal.
Ideal brew time is 48 hours, but when I got home tonight, I found the aerator not on.  I have no idea how long ago the battery died, so I decided to just use the tea ASAP.  It had been brewing for at least 25 hours -- hopefully as many as many as 30-34 hours -- but I'm hoping to see some benefit from it.  I'd love to be able to reduce pests and disease using compost tea, but I have no idea how good my compost is.  Maybe I should get it tested next time.  Until then, I'll just hope to notice positive changes in my plants!







Comments

Popular Posts