Rain, Rain, Go Away!

My list of farm tasks is growing, as I haven't been able to get to them with the soils so soggy.  It's made me think hard about farming in Waimanalo in the future.  As much as I love the rural nature of the town and the majestic Koolau backdrdop, farming in these heavy soils when it rains is a challenge. 

There is a silver lining, though:  I rarely have to irrigate my plants, and they seem to be doing just fine.  Check out the Dragon's Tongue beans I planted just a week ago:



You may notice grass-like plants in the photo with my beans.  Those are the dreaded nutsedge, which is the subject of my weed presentation in class tomorrow.  It's considered one of the worst weeds (purple nutsedge is considered the worst weed) in agriculture and is nearly impossible to kill.  If I had more time to experiment, I have some ideas about what I'd try to control them, but for now, I'm just hoping the rains will let up so I can get to hoeing.  The nutsedge are everywhere!!!

Someone do an anti-rain dance, please!


Comments

Popular Posts