Profile: Cherry Tomatoes



Plant family:  Solanaceae (nightshade family)
Scientific name:  Solanum lycopersicum
Varieties in your CSA bag:  Go Farm Hawaii Merlot F4 Red, GoFarm Hawaii Merlot F4 Orange

Tomatoes don't really need any introduction, so I just want to point out that the smaller variety of tomato in your CSA bag is the fourth generation of a tomato that my farm coach has been breeding on the farm.  If you're interested in seed breeding (not the same thing as genetic modification!) or discovering new varieties of vegetables and fruit, I encourage you to check out the Variety Showcase at Kapiolani Community College on March 13, 2018.  Ask me for more information if you're interested.  I'll be there with my GoFarm Hawaii cohort mates.


How to store:  Store in a paper bag or cardboard box at room temperature or in a cool place but NOT in the fridge.

Image result for shiso tempura


How to prepare:  Cherry tomatoes are great raw.  They may be cooked as well, but there are other types of tomatoes that are better suited for cooking.  Tomatoes are a staple in my diet.  I usually make caprese salad with cherry tomatoes or just add them to my garden salad lunches.


Pairs well with:  Butter, olive oil, cheese (cream cheese, Parmesan, mozarella, cheddar, goat cheese), basil, parsley, tarragon, lovage, chives, garlic, oregano, vinegar, peppers, squash, eggplant, legumes, corn, shallots

Comments

Popular Posts