"Farm" Update and Office "Farm" Experimentation

I've spent quite a bit of time reorganizing the "farm" these past couple weeks and creating more self-watering containers out of plastic bottles we've scrounged up for free.  I'm not sure yet whether they'll work, but I figured it was worth a try.  I did buy a giant, 27-gallon plastic bin on sale at Costco to plant either a lot of something or one big something.  I'm a little worried about all the weight I'm adding to my lanai, though -- all the more reason to look for a house in the future.  Or is it?

I recently found out about a program called GoFarm Hawaii.  It involves a series of classes and eventually farming leased land, with assistance to find land to farm.  What an amazing program!  Coincidentally, or perhaps not coincidentally, the first day of the next program falls on Adjournment Sine Die of session this year.

I've also started experimenting with reusing plastic containers to make mini self-watering containers.
This is a 2-liter soda bottle.  I cut it nearly in half, drilled a hole in the cap, and stuck the fabric through.

Replanted hechima (Chinese okra/loofah) into this container


I've noticed that most plants tend to grow better in self-watering containers, and my latest experimental idea is to grow plants in my office.  I bought a set of 4 CFL daylight bulbs from Home Depot over the weekend and found a clip-on lamp at home to take to the office for the first week of experimentation.  After constructing a couple self-watering containers out of 2-liter soda bottles at home, I brought my first seedling into the office.  I hadn't even remembered what seeds I had planted, but I soon recognized the little seedling as a baby tomato plant.


I know the expression "watching grass grow" is supposed to mean something is slow and boring, but I can't tell you how exciting it is to watch these little plants grow every hour, it seems, before my very eyes.  It's also interesting to observe their phototropism.  The first day, I rotated my container every so often just to see them grow toward the light.  Not quite the same as playing fetch with a dog, but I'll take what I can get for in-office entertainment :P

Just yesterday, I noticed another green seedling popping up above the soil and got soooo excited.  It's like watching a baby being born!

This photo was taken just a few hours after the picture above.  In the interim, a second seedling appeared!

In one day, that seedling grew nearly an inch, so I guess this grow light's working.  For my wick, I used three strips of leftover flannel fabric and braided them together into a thick rope.  That may have been too thick of a wick for this little container, though, because the soil feels a little too damp.  I'm worried about root rot.


I made four more containers yesterday but used only 1-2 pieces of jute for those.
These containers are actually better than the 2-liter soda bottles because these have a sturdier base.


I noticed that more seedlings emerged yesterday.  Again, I don't remember what types of seeds I planted (I should probably start labeling these...), but it'll be a surprise, like not knowing the gender of a baby before it's born!

Comments

Popular Posts