A Real Farmer

I'm starting to feel like a real farmer now -- not a good one, but a farmer nonetheless.  My seeds actually germinated, my beds are being properly irrigated, and my plants are still alive.  Perhaps these are low expectations, but I really had no confidence in my ability to do this.  Gardening I can do, but farming seemed like a stretch.  I am absolutely certain I will make mistakes and continue to find challenges in farming, but I'm trying to slowly build confidence as I take steps each week toward my farm goals.

This past weekend, we transplanted some okra, basil, kale, and chard into our beds.  By the next day, some of them were already being chomped on, but hopefully they'll survive and be marketable.
Rainbow Lacinato and Toscano kale

Lots of basil -- Eleonora and 115 varieties

Okra down the middle, flanked by extra basil

Trellis net up and ready for the cukes to come in :)

Bird's eye view of basils and kales

Bird's eye view of kales and chard


I also got some experience planting corn using a neat, simple mechanical seeding contraption.  I ended being the designated tiller, which meant tackling my nemesis, the BCS machine.  Dun dun dun...  I think I did a pretty good job, considering the fact that it was even harder to till while avoiding taking down the row markers and irrigation tubes.  It was definitely hard to push the clutch in again, but my arms hurt a bit less the next morning.  And I did all 6 rows by myself.  Progress!


6 rows of corn went into these 100' long rows.  Hoping to get some yummy, sweet corn in time for our CSA.
I love being on the farm and am wondering whether I was a Southern farm girl in a previous life.  Looking forward to this weekend's farm adventure.

Comments

Popular Posts